'It's not just allies who support each other. From your rivals, you learn so much and gain so much.Until you meet again...Just knowing that they exist helps you withstand the loneliness.Those who compete,even if they are enemies, help each other out.
-Hiroko Seto,Your Lie In April
When I was watching this anime, this quote triggered some old memories, so old that I was actually surprised I had that memory all along.
It just happened in the fall of my 12 year old self.I used live near the mountains and in the autumn when the leaves turned yellow and started falling down and the cold really started to set in , I used to love racing on my horses.The thrill I used to experience then never compared to anything else in my whole life.
My dad often suggested in taking parts in competitions and stuff, but at that time I used to be a scaredy cat and the thought of participation with kids of my age used to terrify me.
But then something happened that completely changed my outlook on competitions and my rivals alike.
It so happened that a horse riding competition was organised in my place and my mother registered me to it without even taking my permission! I did want to lose face since my little sister was taking part in it too,so gathering all my courage I started preparing for the competition.
The day finally came.I still remember how nervous I was!I thought my heart would come out of my throat any moment then.Even though I saw many of my school mates , it did nothing to calm me down , moreover it only made me feel more agitated.Then suddenly I saw him.The master of taunts and provokes , Harley himself.There is one thing about him and me and is that we never get along,NEVER!With his usual irritating smirk , he started with his usual taunt,"What is it, Debbie, getting the cold feet ?'That did it!I had forgotten all my nervousness and anger replaced it.I turned my back at him and stalked off.He just laughed!
The competition finally kicked off.I will say even though all the competitors were young, their technical skills were quite high,I really was amazed by their horse riding skills,so skilled that I had forgotten that I was competing in it too!Suddenly a women called out my name and told my turn would be soon.At that time,even though now I consider it so insignificant but at that time it felt my world is going too end.I remembered that I had felt my knees were visibly trembling , the least I could do was not to bawl in front of everyone...
My turn finally came. And when I entered the arena , I had forgotten all my fears when I saw my darling horse ,Stella.Giving her my most confident smile I strapped the saddle and rode off.
I was not able to win.I wasn't even able able to secure a position in the top five.I lost to Harley by a gap of five seconds.
When I went to the changing room my knees gave away and I sat down with a thud.I had never experienced that kind of feeling before.I felt so hollow and weak.I touched my cheek and found it moist,I quickly looked at the mirror and saw that tears were coming by itself, I did not even realise that I had already started crying.But the most strange part was that crying was not my nature.I did not even used to cry when I used to get low marks on my exams.Then suddenly Harley barged in.He looked stunned when we met each other's eyes.And he said , hesitantly,"Hey, you 'kay?"And I even surprising myself,burst into tears.He came towards me and hugged me . For how long we stood there I don't know but when we finally let go I had the feeling that he was contemplating something.And then he just said in a whisper,"Are you ready for the junior prelims ?Because I shall be waiting for you."Saying that he went away.


Comments
Post a Comment